Special Use Permits


Any property owner wishing to have land uses that are not listed with permitted land uses for the property's zoning district must complete and submit a Special Use Permit Application and Checklist (PDF) to the City's Community Development Department. 


Step One
Before submitting an application for special use, the City requires that the applicant first schedule an appointment with the City's Principal Planner to discuss the proposed action. To schedule an appointment, please contact the Community Development Office at 417-732-3150.

Step Two

Submit the following to the City, along with the completed Application, upon request for a Special Use Permit:
  • Legal Description of the property in Microsoft Word format on any electronic medium
  • Fees
    • Application fee: $250.00 (due at the time of Application)
Additional fees to be billed to applicant during process:
    • Postage: Fee calculated by the City based on the number of notices to be sent as required by State Statute. Invoiced to the Applicant prior to the Public Hearing before the Planning and Zoning Commission
    • Publication Cost: Due upon invoice

Step Three

The Community Development Department's Technical Review Team will review the proposed Special Use request and provide the Applicant with any questions or comments.

Step Four

The Community Development Department will arrange for publication of the “Notice of a Public Hearing” in a local newspaper (Republic City Code Sec. 405.980). This notice will indicate the date of the Public Hearings and must be published at least 15 days prior to the first Public Hearing. The Applicant will be invoiced by the City for the cost of publication with the newspaper.  The City will send letters by certified return receipt mail to notify all property owners within 185 feet of the property proposed that is the subject of the Special Use request.  

Step Five

The Public Hearing will be scheduled at the next regularly scheduled meeting of the Planning and Zoning Commission. At the Public Hearing, all interested parties may appear and speak in favor or to protest the Special Use request. The Technical Review Team will provide a Staff Report to the Commissioners. The Planning and Zoning Committee will vote on a “yes” or “no” recommendation to be forwarded to the Republic City Council.

Step Six

At the following regular scheduled meeting of the Republic City Council, the ordinance will have an initial first reading.  A second reading and vote will occur at the subsequent meeting.  If the vote is in favor of the ordinance, it is then signed by the appropriate City officials and is in full force and effect from that day forward.

Allowable Special Uses

Allowable special uses include the following:
  1. Any public building erected and used by any department of the City, County, State or Federal Government.
  2. Commercial amusement or recreational development for temporary or seasonal periods.
  3. Cemetery or mausoleum on a site of 20 acres or more; provided that any mausoleum shall be located at least 200 feet from any street or lot line.
  4. Hospitals and institutions, except institutions for criminals and for persons who are mentally ill or have contagious diseases provided; however, that such buildings may occupy not over 25% of the total area of the lot or tract and will not have any serious depreciating effect upon the value of the surrounding property; and provided further, that the buildings shall be set back from all yard lines heretofore established an additional distance of not less than two feet for every foot of building height, and that adequate off-street parking space will be provided.
  5. Greenhouses and plant nurseries.
  6. Radio or television broadcasting tower or station over 50 feet in height.
  7. Guyed or lattice telecommunication towers located in "AG" or "C-2" Districts, when complying with the regulations in Section 405.170(B)(8).
  8. Mono-pole telecommunications towers located in any district, when complying with the regulations in Section 405.170(B)(8).
  9. Group day care homes in any residential district.
  10. Commercial office uses located in any residential district which are associated with low traffic volumes such as; accounting, architecture, drafting, engineering, law and associated professional consulting services as approved by the Planning and Zoning Commission and City Council.
  11. Neighborhood markets, convenience stores and gasoline / fuel stations located in residential districts.
  12. The sale of merchandise by traveling vendors, under tents or other temporary facilities, located in "C-1", "C-2", "M-1" or "M-2" Districts. Temporary facilities shall not be permitted beyond a three month period per year unless permitted as a permanent structure.
  13. Veterinary facility or similar establishment located in "C-2", "M-1" or "M-2" Districts for the treatment and boarding of all animals, large and small.
  14. The temporary use of land for purposes associated with the support of active public improvement projects.